April 16, 2021
A BIG thank you to all parents that attended student-led conferences. It was truly a magical day and many of the children are saying that their SLC and being able to show their parents around campus was a major highlight of the year. It was wonderful to see everyone celebrating all the learning that has taken place this year and to finally have parents with children together in school! There was overwhelmingly positive feedback from parents regarding their SLC experience with their child as evidenced through the compilation of the 77 responses from the Parent Feedback Form on the back of the student “passports”. Below are the results of that survey.
- 100% agreed or strongly agreed – “My Child was Prepared and Interested in taking part in their student-led Conference.”
- 100% agreed or strongly agreed – “My Child was engaged while sharing their work and able to reflect upon the pieces they selected to share.”
- 100% agreed or strongly agreed – “My Child’s portfolio demonstrated careful thought and preparation.”
- 100% agreed or strongly agreed – “The conference provided me with a greater sense of my child as a learner as well as their strengths and areas for growth.”
- 99% agreed or strongly agreed – “I was given enough information so I was prepared for the conference.”
If you have any additional suggestions or feedback to improve student-led conferences, please let us know by emailing the Lower School Principal! We look forward to being able to continue to strengthen our school-parent partnerships and welcome parents on campus more in the near future.
SCIS-Pudong participated in their fourth learning walk of the year. Faculty/staff representing different roles within the school walked to observe students who demonstrated being “Positive Contributors,” one of our Schoolwide Learner Outcomes.
Within all learning environments (PS/PK, Grade 2, and Grade 6 science) that were visited during this morning’s learning walk, there were multiple examples of students demonstrating their ability to be effective communicators and open-minded to the ideas and thoughts of others. Additionally, there were numerous observations made of students working collaboratively with each other in a kind and respectful manner. Evidence of community and belonging was seen in abundance across all classrooms. Common themes that emerged from this learning walk or areas that were evident across classrooms included:
- A high level of student engagement and collaboration.
- Opportunities for student reflection.
- A high degree of student voice and input into the learning experience.
- Students as caring and open-minded communicators.
Photos – April 26th and 27th
Lower School class and individual photos will take place on April 26th and 27th. Below is the schedule. Students should wear their regular uniforms on that day (no PE shirt). Thank you.
We are excited to inform you that Pret-a-Portrait will be visiting the school on Monday, April 26th and Tuesday, April 27th to take fun, professional pictures of the students. Pret-a-Portrait is an international schools photography company that has been working in China for many years.
The Lower School photography session schedule is below:
- Kindergarten and Grade 1 – April 26th
- ECE, Grades 2-5 – April 27th.
The day your child has their pictures taken, they will bring home a slip that tells you how you can view your pictures. Pre-register your details when you receive this slip and Pret-a-Portrait will email you the moment your pictures are ready. Orders can be placed via their website or via WeChat with the assistance of their customer service team based in Shanghai.
Images will be available a week or so after their visit, a 25% discount period will be available to all parents and any orders placed for physical prints will be shipped directly to your home address, digital image orders will be emailed to you. Should you wish to take a look, Pret-a-Portraits website is: www.pret-a-portrait.net. If you have any questions for Pret-a-Portrait at this stage you can contact them via:
- WeChat: Pret-a-Portrait
- Phone: 131 2078 2068
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pudong campus is replacing all older buses (15 in total). Starting next week, all of our buses will be the new blue ones!
Ms. Mabel Update
Ms. Mabel Garcia, the Lower School music teacher is now recovering from surgery. She is doing well and would like to thank all community members for their kind words and thoughts. She loves all the cards and the canvas made by her students which is beautifully displayed in her home.
We will look into rescheduling the concerts for later dates this year, once she is well enough to return to school. Thank you for your patience and thank you to Ms. Preeti for all her hard work to ensure children continue to enjoy music class.
Thank you to all the grade 5 parents who attended last week’s Principal’s Meeting on the PYP Exhibition. Mr. Kelly has shared the presentation slides with all grade 5 families. We look forward to celebrating this learning journey with the grade 5 students and attending the Exhibition in late May.
Spirit Week This Week – April 19th-23rd
Thank you to the student council representatives who have decided on the upcoming Spirit Week themes. During the week of April 19th-23rd, Lower School students may dress according to the schedule below. Have fun and let’s hear the dragons’ roar!
- Monday – Free Dress! (dress any way you like, pajamas, superhero, athlete…)
- Tuesday – Twins/Triplets! (dress like a friend or form a group)
- Wednesday – Wacky Hair! (how crazy can you get?)
- Thursday – Wacky Tourist! (look like a crazy tourist!)
- Friday – Jeans and Greens Spirit Day! (show your school spirit!)
- April 19th-23rd – Spirit Week!
- Photo Day – April 26th and 27th