Dear Parents, Students, Faculty, and Friends,
Come out and celebrate with SCIS this weekend. It has been a busy Spirit Week, and it will be a busy weekend!
– Friday 6:00: The Addams Family: Join us for our Upper School Musical and visual arts gallery presentations. (NOTE: This performance is not LiveStreamed.)
– Saturday:9:30 Early Childhood Education Presentation: The Power of Play-Based Learning. Room 102 (In English and Chinese). Led by Ms. Hunt
– 10:00 AM: Varsity Boys Basketball (home) vs. YCIS.
– 10:30: Open House Presentation for families who want to learn more about SCIS. Led by Mr. Luebbe and Mr. Mazer
– 11:30-3:00 pm Winter Festival: Come join us for this special event. Fun. Food. Drink. Crafts. Student Performances. Organized by our amazing PAFA! Come out and enjoy the day.
– 3:00 pm The Addams Family: Join us for our Upper School Musical and visual arts gallery presentations. (NOTE: This performance is not LiveStreamed.)
As if Saturday wasn’t busy enough, we will be also host 15 math educators from around Asia as they join our SCIS teachers during a 3-day workshop for Math Specialists in International Schools. The cohort is led by mathematics specialist Erma Anderson who has worked with international schools for the last 20 years and has a distinguished career as part of the team that developed mathematics and science standards that are used throughout the United States. We’re grateful to have all the learning on our campus, and congratulate this cohort of teachers for their dedication to completing the first 3 days of an eventual 15 day experience over the next two years to earn their certificate as Math Specialists. Erma has presented to SCIS parents in the past on the power of teaching mathematics as concepts instead of procedures (which is likely how most of us, including me, learned math as a child). Erma will be back at SCIS in the spring and we will schedule some time for her to meet with parents, share her story, and answer questions at that time.
Lastly, as an American, I want to acknowledge that Thursday was American Thanksgiving. It’s a special day to give thanks for all that we have. As a faculty, we celebrated at school on Saturday Nov. 23, and the words that I and others shared at that celebration are equally applicable for our larger community.
- We are fortunate to be surrounded by people who care about each child.
- We are fortunate to work with colleagues who give of themselves, day in and day out, in support of our children.
- We are fortunate to live and work in Shanghai. It is an experience like no other.
- We are fortunate to be involved in a profession where we make a difference in the lives of others.
I wish you all a restful weekend and hope to see you at school to share in our community.
PAFA Transforms SCIS for Winter Festival
A big thank you to our PAFA volunteers who have been busy each and every day this week at the school to transform our lobby and cafeteria area in preparation for the Winter Festival. Thank you for making this time of year come to life for our entire community!
- Saturday, Nov. 30:
- Varsity Boys Basketball vs YCIS-PX, Home, 10am
- PAFA Winter Festival, 11:30 am-3pm
- Upper School Arts Day, 3rd Floor Gallery, 1pm
- The Addams Family, Upper School Musical, 3pm-5pm
- Tuesday, Dec. 3:
- PAFA Board Meeting, 9:30am-1pm
- Varsity Boys Basketball @ NAIS, Away, 4:15pm
- Varsity Girls Basketball vs NAIS, Home, 4:15pm
- Wednesday to Friday, Dec. 4-6:
- US Semester Exams
- Friday, Dec. 6:
- Varsity Boys Basketball vs SMIC, Home, 4:15pm
- Varsity Girls Basketball @ SMIC, Away, 4:15pm
- Saturday, Dec. 7:
- SSl Swim Meet #3, Nanjing Intl School