Dear Parents, Students, Faculty, and Friends,
Today, all parents in the SCIS system received an important email from our Director of Schools, Dan Eschtruth. Highlights from his email include:
- Background on the upcoming SCIS accreditation process with WASC / IB
- Introducing our collaborative process to define our new Schoolwide Learner Outcomes (SLOs)
- Congratulations to our Lower School Principal, Liz Gale, on her promotion for the 2020-21 academic year.
I also want to take this opportunity to congratulate Ms. Gale on her new leadership role starting in August 2020. Ms. Gale continues to be driving force in leading our Lower School program, and her continued leadership and support to our SCIS system accreditation process (which includes our Pudong, Hongqiao-Main, and Hongqiao-ECE campuses) will move all of our campuses forward, collectively. While you will still see her on the Pudong Campus year, it will be less often, and it will be with her new title, Deputy Director of Schools: Teaching & Learning.
Welcome New Lower School Principal: Dawn Brews
Because of Ms. Gale’s new position, we will be welcoming a new Lower School Principal to the Pudong Campus. It gives me great pleasure to welcome Dawn Brews into the SCIS Pudong Community. Dawn will continue the leadership of the Pudong Lower School starting in August of 2020.
Ms. Brews comes to SCIS most recently from five years in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia where she is the Lower School Vice Principal and PYP Coordinator for the Mont’Kiara International School. Prior to that she worked in schools in Dubai for two years and Hong Kong for eleven years.
She holds Masters Degrees in Elementary Education from Phoenix University and another Masters in Educational Leadership from the American College of Education. She also holds a certificate for Dual Language Education (Center for Applied Linguistics) and another certificate in Bilingualism (Harvard Graduate School of Education).
Dawn was one of three finalists to make it past the initial screening introductory interview process. All three candidates were interviewed by three different groups and underwent reference checks with former schools.
We are thrilled to have Ms. Brews join us in August and continue leading our Lower School program. Her background and experience with the PYP fit perfectly to keep our Lower School moving forward. Thankfully, Ms. Brews has already begun collaborating with Ms. Gale; they will have the added benefit of working collaboratively throughout the year to keep the transition as smooth as possible.
Ms. Brews will be joined by her husband Darren and her nine-year-old son Dylan. On behalf of everyone in the SCIS Pudong Community, I know you join me in welcoming their entire family to Shanghai.
Grade Two: Solving Problems with Simple Machines
Lastly, it was a pleasure to take part in today’s Grade Two Learning Celebration on Simple Machines. Thank you to all the parents who came out to allow our students to share their creations and communicate their solutions to everyday problems. When you unleash children’s creativity toward solving authentic problems, it’s never dull! Congratulations to our Grade Two students.
Below, you will find many more upcoming events. We look forward to your continued participation.
Warm regards for a restful weekend,
Next Parent Satisfaction Survey
Our final Parent Satisfaction Survey of the year will be sent out next week. Please be on the look out for the invitation to compete the survey. We appreciate all the parent feedback and look forward to your responses.
November 30: Save The Date!
Next Saturday, November 30th we are having a full day of events at our campus. Please read the list of events below and attend as many as you can. It is going to be a great day with our SCIS community!
- Early Childhood Education (ECE) Parenting Classes: 9:30AM-10:30AM. If you are an ECE parent at SCIS (or want to invite a non-SCIS parent), join us for The Power of Play-Based Learning Workshop
- SCIS Open House: 10:30AM-12:00PM Invite a family to come visit our campus. Take a tour. Meet with administrators, and then join us for our …
- Winter Festival: 11:30AM – 3:00PM
PAFA is in need of some more volunteers for the Winter Festival. Please contact Maria Trantow at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to volunteer
If you would like to sign up for Winter Festival bussing please scan the QR code below:
- From 3:00PM – 5:00PM our Upper School Musical, The Addams Family will begin. Support our talented (and dedicated) Upper School students as they treat us to an afternoon musical performance in the auditorium.
SCIS Hongqiao Winter Carnival
Our Hongqiao Campus is hosting a Winter Carnival this Saturday, November 23rd from 11:00AM to 4:00PM. It will be great fun for the whole family!
- Wednesday, Nov. 27:
- JV Boys Basketball @ NAIS, Away, 4:15pm
- Thursday, Nov. 28:
- US Parent Coffee Morning, Room 411, 9am
- Turkey Trot Swim Meet (Internal), 3pm
- Friday, Nov. 29:
- ACAMIS Table Tennis, Keystone Wellington
- The Addams Family, Upper School Musical, 6pm
- Saturday, Nov. 30:
- ACAMIS Table Tennis, Keystone Wellington
- PAFA Winter Festival, 11:am-3pm
- The Addams Family, Upper School Musical, 3pm