Dear Parents, Students, Faculty and Friends,
REPEAT MESSAGE:School Closed Nov. 4 & 5
The important message below is a repeat from an important email sent out on November 24. If you did not receive the email below, please double-check your email address with our office to ensure you receive future communications.
SCIS has confirmed with the proper authorities that our best course of action is to close school on all of our campuses (Pudong, Hongqiao Main, & Hongqiao ECE) on November 4th & 5th in support of the second annual China International Import Expo. As such, all After School Activities (ASA), athletics, performances, mother tongue language programs, and extra-curricular activities will also be canceled on those days. We will re-open with all operations on Wednesday, November 6th.
SCIS policy requires makeup days when cancellations are more than one school day per academic year. Given the government directive to cancel two school days, SCIS will adjust our calendar to make up one school day. As such, we will now hold a full day of school for students on Friday, November 22nd, which was previously identified as a professional in-service day.
Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated. You will receive further clarification directly from divisional principals and teachers regarding necessary adjustments to programs (i.e. event rescheduling, assignment deadlines, etc.). While it remains our hope that we will have earlier notification for events such as these, we will do our best to incorporate the annual potential into our calendar planning for the 2020-21 school year and beyond.
Parent Teacher Conferences
Thank you, parents, for attending Thursday’s Parent-Teacher Conferences. It was great to see such a strong turnout. Please know that the communication between school and home is not limited to this one day. We encourage you to stay in communication with your child’s progress throughout the year via ManageBac (Upper School) and SeeSaw (Lower School). If you ever want to learn more or have questions, send an email or arrange a visit with your child’s teacher. Even better, help your child develop self-advocacy skills by supporting them to be a part of the communication process well. As both a parent and an educator, I can attest that most issues are best resolved when the student, teacher, and parent are all clearly communicating expectations together.
You’ll notice below that the next few weeks will be busy in terms of school activities. We encourage you to be as involved as you can to help build our school community.
Wishing each of you a relaxing weekend.
Monthly Parent Satisfaction Survey
Please take a few moments to complete our October Parent Satisfaction Survey. We appreciate your valuable feedback and will talk about the results at our next Parent Focus Group. Please click the clink below to take the survey:
- Tuesday, Oct. 29, MS Boys T1 and T2 @ Concordia, Away, 9am
- Wednesday, Oct. 30, PSAT Grades 10-11, 8am-11am
- Thursday, Oct. 31, MS Girls Soccer @ SAS-Pd, 4pm
- Friday, Nov. 1, Java Jam, Gallery, 6pm-8pm
Upcoming Parent/Community Events:
Over the next few weeks we will be having events focused on parents and our community. You can find a list of events below:
- Saturday, October 26th from 12:00PM-3:00PM, PAFA Halloween Event – Dress in your Halloween costume and enjoy tricks and treats with all of our parents and students
- Tuesday, November 7th at 9:30AM, Principals’ Coffee – This informational session will provide parents with an understanding of how to interpret the NWEA MAP assessment
- Tuesday, November 7th at 10:30AM, Parent Focus Groups – Join other parents as we talk about the results from our monthly parent satisfaction survey. We will answer questions and discuss ways to improve our school
- Saturday, November 9th, SCIS Family Fun Day – Come join SCIS families as we cheer on U.S. college basketball teams. We will provide transportation and a light breakfast on campus before the game