You can watch the Spring Concert video on youtube here. Enjoy!
Too bad about the rain today! We got some time in at the ballroom and did lots of dancing and exercises games and videos in class to get some gross motor movement in.
We have continued to explore lots of art materials and techniques this week. Quick-dry clay, painting still-life of flowers, using collage materials, trying out new highlighter markers, and much more!
We are preparing to start our canvases next week, which should be a integrative experience of all of our new art techniques and art materials.
We’ve been learning how to talk about art and how to describe it too. We can describe the colors, the shapes, and the lines. But we can also think about the story or the feelings that art might try to convey.
We’ve watched a series of awesome videos entitled Kids Describe Art to Experts, which have helped model appropriate descriptive language for the class.
The next few weeks are super busy!
- May 26: PAFA picnic
- June 7: Pre-K Gallery Walk
- June 8: Field Day
- June 13: End of the Year Assembly and grade-level celebration (student-only)
- June 14: Last day of school! This is an early dismissal day.
Our annual Field Day will be held on Friday June 8 (rain date is on Monday June 11). This is a day where your child will join a team of other students from different classes and travel around the school to participate in 10 fun (and sometimes wet) stations!
To avoid overcrowding and to maximize space for students, only parents who have signed up as volunteers to help run stations should be on campus during this time. A Sign-Up Genius link available for volunteer sign-up here. Thank you for your understanding!
Please read the attached documents so you know which color your child will need to wear on Friday June 8. Field Day Team Colors EGAN
For example, W is GREEN A. This means she is on Team Green A and will need to wear GREEN (top only is fine).
Please remember the following for Friday June 8:
- Send in a water bottle
- Almost all the kids will NOT be on my team so label your child¹s water bottle with their name and room number (i.e. W B204 *this can be done on masking tape)
- Apply sunscreen and mosquito repellent on your child at home if needed
- The kids will get wet so send in an extra change of clothes (socks, underwear, top and bottom – does not have to be school uniform)
We had a super busy week here in Pre-K! As the end of the school year gets closer and closer, our weeks become busier and busier! A few highlights include:
- Learning the song “The Princess Pat” (also called Arriga Bamboo).
- Having a PE lesson together with our Grade 1 buddy class.
- Going to an art studio for a field trip (see my post earlier this week for all of the photos!).
The weather is getting hot! On super-hot days, we tend to play outside in the morning and then in the ballroom in the afternoon. We are continuing to regularly play with water, so please make sure that extra sets of clothing are being sent to school.
We’ve been talking a lot about how to take care of ourselves when it’s hot. We’ve been practicing how to refill our water bottles by ourselves, how to take off extra layers, and how to change into extra clothing.
We continued to explore new materials this week, such as corn puffs, quick-dry clay, and new paints. It’s been exciting to explore new materials and learn the best ways to create.
Before starting any art project, we first think about what our plan is. This could mean asking ourselves any of the following questions:
- What am I planning to make?
- What do I need?
- How will I use these materials?
We will explore more new materials and techniques next week. After that, students will begin to work on a cumulative art canvas, where they can integrate different materials and techniques into one final art project, to be displayed at our Gallery Walk in June.
Important Upcoming Dates
- PAFA picnic is on May 26.
- Gallery Walk is on June 7, hope to see you there!
- Field Day is on June 8.
- Last day of school is June 14! It is an early dismissal day for students.
Field Day is coming up on Friday, June 8th, and we are looking for volunteers to help run some of our fun activities for our Pre-k, Kinder, and Grade 1 Students. If interested, please sign up by clicking on the link below:
Thanks for your help and support! Field Day is not possible without you!
The Motor Skills Committee
We’ve had a busy and fun week here in Pre-K. We are fully involved in our newest unit, our investigation into art and expression. We’ve been exploring new art materials, learning about shapes and colors, and connecting art to our feelings.
A great way to learn new art techniques and to explore our creativity is through color mixing. We’ve been color mixing through marble art, shaving cream and food coloring, and creating our own color palettes.
Art and Feelings
We have been learning about how art can create a feeling or emotion inside of us. It’s been great reviewing vocabulary words for feelings (happy, sad, scared, angry) and learning new ones (confused, bored, tired, excited).
- Art Auction is tomorrow May 12, 2018 at 7pm. Hope to see you there!
- We have a field trip planned for Wednesday May 16 to Mogogh Art Studio. If you haven’t returned the permission slips yet, please do so as soon as possible.
- The Pre-K Gallery Walk is scheduled for Thursday June 7 from 2:00-2:45pm.
Our Art as Expression unit is fully underway! We have been exploring lots of new art materials and mediums, learning about mixing colors, and reflecting on famous pieces of art.
I want to make sure that the students are being exposed to artists from around the world, not just artists from America and Europe. If you have a favorite artist that you think we should learn about, please let me know! If your child has been to an art museum, sculpture garden, art class, or any kind of art-space, please email us photos. Art is everywhere here in Shanghai!
This is a great way to make a home-school connection and to make the art unit more meaningful for the class.