I hope you were able to get a small dose of sunshine this past weekend!
Please note in today’s home learning folder the following important documents:
1) Heart to Heart Fundraising Collection Envelope
2) ECE Craft Fair Pre-Sale Ticket Envelope
3) Yearbook Photo Nationality Form
4) Home learning sheet.
Also, there is REGULAR PE TOMORROW. Previously it was mentioned as a swimming week, this has changed. I will inform you before the final swimming lessons occur (if any).
This week is full for fun events, so please take a look at the calendar of events below!
As our unit of inquiry comes to an end, students are still exploring new experiments that help them further understand matter, it’s properties, and how it can react and change.
In math, we are focusing on finding the perimeter (total length) of an object. In writing, we are writing like scientist and will apply our knowledge of the experiments we’ve done in the classroom with the scientific method. In literacy, we will continue to read more non-fiction text and work on our comprehension skills. In word study, we will use commas in series, dates, and between cities and countries.
Lower School Art Show Opening: April 22nd
The 2018 SCIS Lower School Art Show Opening will be held on Sunday, April 22nd at 2:00 PM, located off campus at a gallery called THE SPACE located at 80 Yili Road (near Hongqiao Rd across from Yili Park). Congratulations to Chloe B and Guan-Xin, whose work was selected to be displayed in the show!
Heart to Heart Fundraiser Week:
It is with great pleasure that we are announcing our first “Heart to Heart Fundraising Week” at SCIS HQ Main from Monday, April 16th – Friday, April 20th. As many of you know, the ECE has been supporting Heart to Heart for several years through their Art Auction. This year, we will join them in this endeavor. Our goal is to raise 90,000 RMB ($14,250 USD) during the HQ Main weeklong event to provide the funds to save three children in desperate need of life-saving heart surgeries. This event is a collaboration between PAFA, SCIS administration, faculty members, and student leadership groups. Our hope is to make this an annual calendared event and a new SCIS tradition!
Heart to Heart Fundraising Week Events:
1. Donation Envelopes will be sent home with each student. These envelopes will contain information about Heart to Heart and advertising about our fundraising week. The envelopes will double as a return donation envelope that will be collected daily by Homeroom (LS) or First Block (US) teachers. A suggested donation of 100 RMB per student will go a long way towards meeting our goal of 90,000 RMB, but please feel free to donate what you can.
(Please Note: Your kind donation returned in this envelope is a straight donation and is not intended to be used as spending money for the other events and activities during the Heart to Heart Fundraising Week.)
2. Wednesday, April 18th (11:00 – Onwards) Student-Run Market Day to benefit Heart to Heart. Please send spending money with your child to support this Heart to Heart Market Day. There will be a variety of snacks and refreshments available, along with items for sale by our outside businesses partners, including food and treats from Little Huia restaurant, books and toys from Puffy, and teddy bears from Heart to Heart (50 RMB – 250 RMB, depending on size and style).
3. Wednesday, April 18th (5:00 – 8:00) Screen Free Night (rain or shine). For many of us, electronic screens are a necessary part of our daily lives. But, on Wednesday, April 18th from 5:00 – 8:00, let’s disconnect from our screens for a few hours and enjoy an opportunity to strengthen community through human interaction! Please join us at the SCIS HQ Main Campus for a wide variety of fun family activities such as: rock climbing, soccer, drum circles, badminton, arts and crafts, table tennis, read-a-longs, basketball, volleyball, swing dancing, live music, and more. Dinner from Little Huia restaurant and drinks (including beer and wine for the adults) will be available for purchase along with a variety of other items including raffle tickets for terrific prizes and a massage tent and nail painting booth by Dragonfly Therapeutic Massage. A suggested donation of 50 RMB per person or 200 RMB per family (less than the cost of a night at the cinema, but a lot more fun!) can be donated at the gate. All proceeds will go to benefit Heart to Heart to help children in desperate need of heart surgeries. On Wednesday, April 18th, let’s disconnect to reconnect!
4. Alternate PE Uniforms are available for Lower School students. These alternate PE uniforms are comfortable regular cotton “SCIS Heart to Heart” T-shirts which can be worn on all PE days for the remainder of the school year (100 RMB, supplies are limited).* This is a change from previously advertised. Regular cotton but a reduced price of 100 RMB instead of 150 RMB.
5. Friday, April 20th (12:00 – Onwards) LS Expression Sessions. This event is independent of the Heart to Heart Fundraising Week, but Heart to Heart volunteers will be in the HQ Main courtyard selling teddy bears and refreshments to interested students and parents on campus for the Expression Sessions.
Expression Session- FRIDAY, APRIL 20TH:
This Friday (April 20) is the 2nd annual Expression Sessions in the lower school at SCIS! Students have auditioned, practiced, and have been selected to perform, share a talent, or a piece of art. Events begin sharply at 12:40pm and will conclude at 3:00pm. Ms. Berg and Mr. Wellman have contacted families involved with scheduling specifics and would love to see everyone at SCIS for a celebration of student talents! Heart to Heart bears will be sold and t-shirts as well during this day.
April 16-20: Heart to Heart fundraiser:
- Monday: Fundraising Envelopes Distributed
- Wednesday: Student-Led Market Day
- Wednesday Evening (5-8pm): Screen-Free Night at Main HQ Campus
- Friday: Heart to Heart fundraiser sale while you visit for Expression Sessions!
April 20: (12:40-3:00 pm) Lower School Expression Sessions
May 1: Labour Day Holiday, NO SCHOOL
May 17: Music Concert G. 2/3 (6:30 pm)
May 24 or 25: Field Day
May 26: End of Year Picnic
June 1: Last day ASA
June 8: Grade 5 Exhibition
June 11: G4-run Market Day
June 12: Celebration of Learning Assembly